This is the Windows app named Elite Planet Browser whose latest release can be downloaded as EPB_z88dk_2021-04-17.zip. It can be run online in the free hosting provider OnWorks for workstations.
Download and run online this app named Elite Planet Browser with OnWorks for free.
Follow these instructions in order to run this app:
- 1. Downloaded this application in your PC.
- 2. Enter in our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 3. Upload this application in such filemanager.
- 4. Start any OS OnWorks online emulator from this website, but better Windows online emulator.
- 5. From the OnWorks Windows OS you have just started, goto our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 6. Download the application and install it.
- 7. Download Wine from your Linux distributions software repositories. Once installed, you can then double-click the app to run them with Wine. You can also try PlayOnLinux, a fancy interface over Wine that will help you install popular Windows programs and games.
Wine is a way to run Windows software on Linux, but with no Windows required. Wine is an open-source Windows compatibility layer that can run Windows programs directly on any Linux desktop. Essentially, Wine is trying to re-implement enough of Windows from scratch so that it can run all those Windows applications without actually needing Windows.
Elite Planet Browser
First of all: this program is totally useless. But those of you who know and love the classic computer game "Elite" will maybe like it.
The "Elite Planet Browser" is a little program for various classic Z80-based computers, written in C using the z88dk compiler (www.z88dk.org). It allows you to browse through the planet data of the Elite game on many old Z80-based computers.
When the original game came out in 1984, many people wondered how it is possible to have detailed data of so many planets in the 16K RAM memory of the BBC Micro. The trick behind this is a clever algorithm based on a pseudo-random number sequence, and this algorithm is reproduced here in this program.
Currently, 66 target systems are supported, including Sinclair ZX81, Jupiter Ace, ColecoVision, MSX, Tandy TRS-80, Sharp MZ, and many more.
- New target supported: Genius Leader 6000SL
- SAM Coupé version can now display the Galactic Chart, .mgt floppy disk image added.
This is an application that can also be fetched from https://sourceforge.net/projects/elitepb/. It has been hosted in OnWorks in order to be run online in an easiest way from one of our free Operative Systems.