This is the Windows app named RetroGear whose latest release can be downloaded as retrogear_latest_src.tar.gz. It can be run online in the free hosting provider OnWorks for workstations.
Download and run online this app named RetroGear with OnWorks for free.
Follow these instructions in order to run this app:
- 1. Downloaded this application in your PC.
- 2. Enter in our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 3. Upload this application in such filemanager.
- 4. Start any OS OnWorks online emulator from this website, but better Windows online emulator.
- 5. From the OnWorks Windows OS you have just started, goto our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 6. Download the application and install it.
- 7. Download Wine from your Linux distributions software repositories. Once installed, you can then double-click the app to run them with Wine. You can also try PlayOnLinux, a fancy interface over Wine that will help you install popular Windows programs and games.
Wine is a way to run Windows software on Linux, but with no Windows required. Wine is an open-source Windows compatibility layer that can run Windows programs directly on any Linux desktop. Essentially, Wine is trying to re-implement enough of Windows from scratch so that it can run all those Windows applications without actually needing Windows.
RetroGear is a generic 2D game engine, designed for the simple and fast retro games development, like those of the 80s. The project aims to create generic components for rapid development of 2D games, based on the most common practices of game programming and design known, giving in the hands of the programmer, standard components and easy to integrate with their own projects.
Some of the features offered by this game engine are:
A basic but pratical game states management (screen titles, pre-game, game, game over, etc ...)
Management of 2D maps, with practical and useful tools for managing graphics, scrolling and collisions.
Functions for handling graphics at high and low level, with the addition of functionality to the management of animations of the game entities, in a fully automatic manner.
Management of basic audio
Scope of game dynamics and designed to be used in a variety of game types, so easy and fast, thanks to the dedicated functionality.
- 2D tile map editor
- Entity management system
This is an application that can also be fetched from https://sourceforge.net/projects/retrogear/. It has been hosted in OnWorks in order to be run online in an easiest way from one of our free Operative Systems.