This is the Linux app named Learning with Texts (LWT) whose latest release can be downloaded as lwt_v_1_6_2.zip. It can be run online in the free hosting provider OnWorks for workstations.
Download and run online this app named Learning with Texts (LWT) with OnWorks for free.
Follow these instructions in order to run this app:
- 1. Downloaded this application in your PC.
- 2. Enter in our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 3. Upload this application in such filemanager.
- 4. Start the OnWorks Linux online or Windows online emulator or MACOS online emulator from this website.
- 5. From the OnWorks Linux OS you have just started, goto our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 6. Download the application, install it and run it.
Learning with Texts (LWT)
DESCRIPTIONLearning with Texts (LWT):
THE #1 LANGUAGE LEARNING FREEWARE ON SOURCEFORGE WITH ~400 DOWNLOADS PER MONTH
Learning with Texts (LWT) is a tool for Language Learning -- inspired by Stephen Krashen's principles in Second Language Acquisition, Steve Kaufmann's LingQ System, ideas from Khatzumoto (AJATT = "All Japanese All The Time") and the Vera F. Birkenbihl Approach to Language Learning. Read & listen, save & test words in context!
- Learning with Texts (LWT) is a tool for Language Learning, inspired by Stephen Krashen's principles in Second Language Acquisition, Steve Kaufmann's LingQ System, and ideas from Khatzumoto, published at "AJATT - All Japanese All The Time".
- You define languages you want to learn.
- You define the web dictionaries you want to use.
- You define how sentences and words in the language will be split up.
- You upload texts, and they are automatically split into sentences and words! Later re-parsing is possible.
- Optional: Assign the URL of an mp3 audio file of the text in order to listen while reading the text.
- You read the text while listening to the audio, and you see immediately the status of every word (unknown, learning, learned, well-known, ignored).
- You click on words, and you use the external dictionaries to find out their meanings.
- You save words or expressions (2..9 words) with optional romanization (for asiatic languages), translations and example sentence, you change its status, you edit them whenever needed (like in LingQ).
- Use tags to categorize your terms and texts.
- Test your understanding of words and expressions within or without sentence context.
- MCD (Massive-Context Cloze Deletion) testing, as proposed by Khatzumoto @ AJATT, built in!
- See your progress on the statistics page.
- You may export the words and expressions and use them in Anki or other programs.
- You may upload words and expressions into LWT (from LingQ or other sources, CSV/TSV) - they are immediately available in all texts!
- New since Version 1.5.0: Create and edit an improved annotated text version (as interlinear text) for online or offline learning. Motivation: Annotated texts (as interlinear text) have been used for language learning for a long time. One example are the word-by-word translations in the Assimil courses. The German Vera F. Birkenbihl proposes the creation of interlinear word-by-word or hyperliteral translations (she named this creation "decoding") in foreign language learning. See: "The Birkenbihl-Approach to Language Learning", Link: http://tinyurl.com/birkenbihl-method
- New since Version 1.5.3: Multiple Table Sets / Multi User Setup.
- New since Version 1.5.5: LWT - WordPress integration & user authentication
- The application is 100 % free, open source, and in the Public Domain. Do with it what you like!
- Prerequisites: a local web server (Apache, PHP, MySQL), e.g. EasyPHP (Win), or MAMP (Mac), or a LAMP-Server (Linux)..
- LWT runs great on an iPad, etc., too!
- Enjoy your language learning and reading of texts in foreign languages!
- TEST LWT.... (Don't use for productive work!)
- Go to http://lwt.sourceforge.net/testdb ... UID=lwt, PWD=lwt
- UPDATE June 7, 2018: LWT source code is no longer available @ GitHub.
Education, End Users/Desktop
This is an application that can also be fetched from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lwt/. It has been hosted in OnWorks in order to be run online in an easiest way from one of our free Operative Systems.