This is the Linux app named PlaTec whose latest release can be downloaded as PlaTec.tar.gz. It can be run online in the free hosting provider OnWorks for workstations.
Download and run online this app named PlaTec with OnWorks for free.
Follow these instructions in order to run this app:
- 1. Downloaded this application in your PC.
- 2. Enter in our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 3. Upload this application in such filemanager.
- 4. Start the OnWorks Linux online or Windows online emulator or MACOS online emulator from this website.
- 5. From the OnWorks Linux OS you have just started, goto our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 6. Download the application, install it and run it.
PlaTec is a 2D terrain generator that uses a simplified model of plate tectonics to produce realistic heightmaps in real time.
The simulator starts with a flat fractal map and splits it randomly into plates. Plates are moved around the map. If continents of two plates collide, they fold creating mountain belts. If oceanic crust of one plate collides with another plate, subduction occurs resulting in coastal mountain ranges or island chains.
This project is part of my Bachelor of Engineering thesis in Metropolia University of Applied Sciences, Helsinki, Finland. The thesis is freely downloadable from http://urn.fi/URN:NBN:fi:amk-201204023993 . A Youtube video showing the simulator in action is available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi4b45tMEPE .
- Plate Tectonics
- Terrain Generation
This is an application that can also be fetched from https://sourceforge.net/projects/platec/. It has been hosted in OnWorks in order to be run online in an easiest way from one of our free Operative Systems.