OnWorks Elementary OS online is an Ubuntu-based desktop distribution. Some of its more interesting features include a custom desktop environment called Pantheon and many custom apps including Photos, Music, Videos, Calendar, Terminal, Files, and more. It also comes with some familiar apps like the Epiphany web browser and a fork of Geary mail.
As you can see in this OnWorks Elementary OS online the human interface guidelines of the elementary OS project focus on immediate usability with a gentle learning curve, rather than full-fledged customization. The three core rules the developers set for themselves were "concision", "accessible configuration" and "minimal documentation"
The Pantheon desktop environment is built on top of the GNOME software base, i.e. GTK, GDK, Cairo, GLib (including GObject and GIO), GVfs and Tracker. The desktop allows for multiple workspaces to organize the user's workflow.
Pantheon applications that are designed and developed by elementary are:
- Pantheon Greeter: session manager based on LightDM
- Gala: window manager
- Wingpanel: top panel, similar in function to GNOME Shell's top panel
- Slingshot: application launcher located in WingPanel
- Plank: dock (upon which Docky is based)
- Switchboard: settings application (or control panel)
- Pantheon Mail: e-mail client written in Vala and based on WebKitGTK
- Calendar: desktop calendar
- Music: audio player
- Code: code-focused text editor, comparable to gedit or leafpad.
- Terminal: terminal emulator
- Files (formerly called Marlin): file manager
- Installer: Installer built in partnership with System76.