This is the Linux app named WipeFreeSpace whose latest release can be downloaded as wipefreespace-2.6.tar.gz. It can be run online in the free hosting provider OnWorks for workstations.
Download and run online this app named WipeFreeSpace with OnWorks for free.
Follow these instructions in order to run this app:
- 1. Downloaded this application in your PC.
- 2. Enter in our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 3. Upload this application in such filemanager.
- 4. Start the OnWorks Linux online or Windows online emulator or MACOS online emulator from this website.
- 5. From the OnWorks Linux OS you have just started, goto our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 6. Download the application, install it and run it.
WipeFreeSpace is a program to securely erase/wipe/overwrite the free space on file systems to prevent recovery of deleted sensitive data.
This allows protecting the user's privacy when e.g. selling the drive or the whole computer.
The following filesystems are supported:
Additionally, WipeFreeSpace can finalize wiping the filesystem by writing blocks of zeros, which is friendly to sparse files, virtual systems and other places where zeroed-out space is not physically allocated.
See the project homepage https://wipefreespace.sourceforge.io and the project Wiki in the menu above.
To prevent clear-text data from being left on the drive in the first place, you can take a look at LibSecRm (https://libsecrm.sourceforge.io), which wipes the data on-the-fly.
- Wipes the free space (unused blocks/clusters)
- Wipes the slack space (free space in partially-used blocks/clusters)
- Wipes deleted files' metadata (e.g. names)
- Supports many filesystem types
- Supports many wiping methods
- Doesn't decrease the free space while working
- Can finalize wiping by writing zeros, good for virtual/sparse devices
- Has command-line and graphical interfaces
- Written with security and portability in mind
- Compiles on Linux, FreeBSD and macOS
Information Technology, Advanced End Users, System Administrators, Security Professionals, Security
Java Swing, Console/Terminal
This is an application that can also be fetched from https://sourceforge.net/projects/wipefreespace/. It has been hosted in OnWorks in order to be run online in an easiest way from one of our free Operative Systems.