This is the Windows app named DROID whose latest release can be downloaded as droid-6.01.zip. It can be run online in the free hosting provider OnWorks for workstations.
Download and run online this app named DROID with OnWorks for free.
Follow these instructions in order to run this app:
- 1. Downloaded this application in your PC.
- 2. Enter in our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 3. Upload this application in such filemanager.
- 4. Start any OS OnWorks online emulator from this website, but better Windows online emulator.
- 5. From the OnWorks Windows OS you have just started, goto our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 6. Download the application and install it.
- 7. Download Wine from your Linux distributions software repositories. Once installed, you can then double-click the app to run them with Wine. You can also try PlayOnLinux, a fancy interface over Wine that will help you install popular Windows programs and games.
Wine is a way to run Windows software on Linux, but with no Windows required. Wine is an open-source Windows compatibility layer that can run Windows programs directly on any Linux desktop. Essentially, Wine is trying to re-implement enough of Windows from scratch so that it can run all those Windows applications without actually needing Windows.
[2014-10-31] This project is obsolete, for latest version (6.1.3) see GitHub https://github.com/digital-preservation/droid (source) and http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/manage-information/preserving-digital-records/droid/ (binary)
DROID (Digital Record Object Identification) is an automatic file format identification tool. It is the first in a planned series of tools developed by The National Archives under the umbrella of its PRONOM technical registry service.
[2013-01-24] The binary download of the latest version of DROID has now been moved to The National Archives website: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/projects-and-work/droid.htm
The source code for the latest version of DROID remains available via Github: http://digital-preservation.github.com/droid/
[2012-09-07] DROID 6.1 has been released. New project hosting for the project can be found on GitHub: http://digital-preservation.github.com/droid/
- File format identification
- Collection Profiling
- Command-line Inteface
- Graphical User Interface
Government, Information Technology, Education, Developers, End Users/Desktop
Java Swing, Command-line
This is an application that can also be fetched from https://sourceforge.net/projects/droid/. It has been hosted in OnWorks in order to be run online in an easiest way from one of our free Operative Systems.