This is the Windows app named Excel2GED whose latest release can be downloaded as Excel2GED18.104.22.168.zip. It can be run online in the free hosting provider OnWorks for workstations.
Download and run online this app named Excel2GED with OnWorks for free.
Follow these instructions in order to run this app:
- 1. Downloaded this application in your PC.
- 2. Enter in our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 3. Upload this application in such filemanager.
- 4. Start any OS OnWorks online emulator from this website, but better Windows online emulator.
- 5. From the OnWorks Windows OS you have just started, goto our file manager https://www.onworks.net/myfiles.php?username=XXXXX with the username that you want.
- 6. Download the application and install it.
- 7. Download Wine from your Linux distributions software repositories. Once installed, you can then double-click the app to run them with Wine. You can also try PlayOnLinux, a fancy interface over Wine that will help you install popular Windows programs and games.
Wine is a way to run Windows software on Linux, but with no Windows required. Wine is an open-source Windows compatibility layer that can run Windows programs directly on any Linux desktop. Essentially, Wine is trying to re-implement enough of Windows from scratch so that it can run all those Windows applications without actually needing Windows.
Excel2GED is an Excel spreadsheet with a macro for converting genealogy data into a GEDCOM-formatted text file with a '.ged' file extension. A GEDCOM file is generated by clicking the VBA-coded macro buttons 'Export' or 'Export to GEDCOM' after creating & selecting a recipient folder. That file can then be imported into a genealogy program, with family relationships already defined, BMD data included, and source notes attached.
Output has been validated to conform to GEDCOM 5.5.1 by software from https://chronoplexsoftware.com/gedcomvalidator and
ShowMeGEDCOM from http://www.familienbande-genealogie.de.
Some improved features in version 3:
Multiple marriages and adopted children are handled correctly.
Same-sex marriages/partnerships and children are accommodated.
View the 'ReleaseNotes' worksheet for additional details.
If needed, the spreadsheet protection password is 'x2g'.
Excel2GED 1.0 was first commissioned in 2008 by Paul D. Pruitt.
- Preserves family relationships
- Converts Excel genealogy info into a gedcom file
- Same sex couples and children are supported
- Adopted children handled correctly
- Source notes preserved in Gedcom output
- Output is GEDCOM 5.5.1 verified
- VBA password is available for free, allowing modification of the source
This is an application that can also be fetched from https://sourceforge.net/projects/excel2ged/. It has been hosted in OnWorks in order to be run online in an easiest way from one of our free Operative Systems.